Looking to expand on her existing skills, Maria, a jeweller who works with existing pieces took Jewellery Making for Beginners to “progress from using pre-made materials to hand making all my own elements.” Check out Maria’s stunning work and how she felt about Paul Wells’ insightful course.
Photograph of Maria Francesca Mereu stood next to the Central Saint Martins entrance sign

Maria Francesca Mereu

What is your name and where are you from?

My name is Maria Francesca Mereu and I am from Sardinia, Italy.

What is your occupation?

I make jewellery from pre-made pieces in various metals and stones

Close up of a ring being held with tweezers

© Maria Francesca Mereu

What short course did you study on and why did you choose it?

I took the Jewellery Making for Beginners course because I wanted to progress from using pre-made materials to hand making all my own elements. The course offered a great starting point to help me learn the basics of handmade jewellery that will allow me to bring my own creative ideas to life.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

The course lasted one week and I found it very intense but exceptionally well structured. There is a fantastic creative vibrancy at Central Saint Martins and the workshops are spacious and bright. There is also great variety of materials, tools and equipment available, which are supplied as part of the course. Our tutor, Paul Wells, was really friendly, helpful and clear in his explanations and guidance, and his relaxed and patient manner made it a very pleasant atmosphere to learn in.

Photograph of Maria Francesca Mereu and Paul Wells (tutor) working in the jewellery workshop

Maria Francesca Mereu & Paul Wells (tutor)

How has this course benefited your career and personal development?

The course has provided me with a great range of basic skills to take my creative ideas to a new level. This has pushed me to want to learn more skills, taking what was initially my hobby to a more professional level.

Ring and stone sitting on work bench

© Maria Francesca Mereu

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at Central Saint Martins?

Do it! If you have the desire and creative ideas to make your own jewellery, and want to get a great basic introduction, then this is the perfect course!

Square pendant sitting on work bench

© Maria Francesca Mereu

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist, in any discipline?

Love what you do!

What three words best describe your short course experience at CSM?

Intense, inspiring and stimulating.

Four Jewellery Making for Beginners student wearing rings made during the course on their hands

© Maria Francesca Mereu

You can see more of Maria’s work via her Instagram, @icipici1 and upon her very own website. Jewellery Making for Beginners is sold out for July but we have another Summer School session taking pace in September, so don’t miss out! The course also returns for Autumn Term for those of you look for your next evening class and we even have dates available in 2020, see you there!