Due to the amazing amount of entries we’ve been receiving, we left our Student Stories competition open a little longer but we’re now very excited to announce the very first winner of our Student Stories Summer School 2019 questionnaire is, Yixin Yan! Congratulations, you’ve won a CSM Short Course of your choosing, up to the value of £600. Yixin attended the fabulous Jewellery Making with Plastic and Metal short course and we think both her words and the incredibly vibrant photographs speak for themselves! Yixin chose to study at CSM for her “study holiday break” and said of her experience, “This is not a “neighborhood” short course, this is world-class top tier education.
Photograph of Yixin Yan by the sea.

Yixin Yan

Where are you from and what’s your favourite thing about it?

I am from China, a city close to Shanghai called Changzhou. My favourite thing about Changzhou is the food, it’s rare to find a restaurant that is comparable in London.

Blue blob shaped earring.

© Yixin Yan

What is your occupation?

I am a Marketing Artist for a game company in Farringdon, London. At university I studied Illustration at the University of Southampton and Winchester School of Art.

An assortment of brightly coloured plastic jewellery sit on a table next to a CSM welcome postcard.

© Yixin Yan 001

What short course did you to study upon at Central Saint Martins (CSM), and what was your journey to the course?

I chose to study Jewellery Making with Plastic and Metal. I have some experience with Fimo (clay) and ceramic jewellery but this was my very first time working with resin, acrylic and metal. It was a great experience and I learnt so much; from making rubber molds, sawing and filing to soldering and polishing, all taught professionally by our tutor, Sarah King.

Sarah King and Yixin Yan stood in the jewellery workshop. Yixin is giving the thumbs up sign.

Sarah King and Yixin Yan

What did you enjoy most about your short course?

It was very hands-on and straight forward. Sarah is a great teacher with a rich background in working with plastic. She is always very patient in giving suggestions and directions, also attending the course was a great “study holiday break” from my usual work.

Metal jewellery in progress sit on a worktop.

© Yixin Yan

What is it like studying in London. What has been your favourite discovery and/or experience?

It has been a long time for me being away from an art university and I was very happy to be able to get back into an art library again. So I guess for me it has more been about discovering King’s Cross, and my favourite thing has been getting to attended Central Saint Martins.

How has your short course benefited your career, education and/or personal development? What are you going to do next with your new skills?

I’ve always liked to make stuff with my hands, especially since my day job is focused on computers, so I’d like to make more things after work and I’ll definitely keep up my practice in jewellery; I even have an Etsy shop selling my clay jewellery. I now have a few resin projects planned in my mind, and after Sarah taught us how to use wax molds, I might try silver as well.

Hand carved red ring.

© Yixin Yan

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at CSM. Why should they study there?

CSM has the best tutors, facilities and you will meet amazing students as well. If you want to have the best experience of learning you have to come to CSM! This is not a “neighborhood” short course, this is world-class top tier education.

Silver ring with blue stone worn on hand.

© Yixin Yan

What 3 words best describe your CSM Short Course experience?

Specialized. Enlightened. Enjoyable.

Silver shaped pendent with opaque blue and red resin.

© Yixin Yan

You can find out more about Yixin through her website and keep up to date with her amazing work via Instagram, @yixinstudio. Jewellery Making with Plastic and Metal also returns this Autumn Term and if you’re planning ahead, comes back in Spring Term 2020. Week 7 of Summer School also starts next week and we can’t wait to hear all about your time at Central Saint Martins as you’ll also have another chance to win a CSM Short Course of your choosing, up to the value of £600. To enter simply share your short course experiences with us by completing our Student Stories questionnaire.