Meet Savannah Griffin, a Sixth-from student who attended the Fashion Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds short course this summer! It was inspiring to see her take on the challenge of trying something completely new, “Attending a short course at Central Saint Martins opens your eyes to what studying there could be like. If you enjoy the experience then you will have more of a drive to work towards the goal of attending there for university.”

© Savannah Griffin

Where are you from and what’s your favorite thing about it?

I’m from London and my favourite thing about it is it’s diversity. I find myself discovering something new everyday, not because I intentionally seek these discoveries, but simply because London is a place where everything and everyone is welcome, may that be different types of music, different types of food or different types of people. No matter what walk of life you come from, you are able to flourish and grow here. That’s what I love the most about London.

What are you studying and where?

I am currently attending sixth form at St. George’s catholic school, studying history, politics and art and design while also taking an additional course called EPQ.

© Savannah Griffin

What short course did you to study on at Central Saint Martins (CSM), and what was your journey to the course?

The short course I took was called Fashion Design for 16-18 Year Olds. My journey to the course was a spontaneous one. This doesn’t mean to say that I was not serious about the course, nor was my consideration of taking it light. In fact my decision to take the course was triggered by my passion to discover what it would be like to study at CSM as well as to see whether fashion was the path for me. I had spent hours looking through all the courses on the website, then one day I woke up with the determination to apply to the fashion course because it had intrigued me the most. The idea of designing and creating something that could possibly be showcased to the world on a catwalk caused me to feel overwhelming excitement and eagerness.

© Savannah Griffin

What did you enjoy most about your short course? 

The aspect of the course I enjoyed the most, other then the skills it had taught me, was it’s atmosphere. Unlike in sixth form, this class had a very relaxed feeling to it. Through this atmosphere you are not only encouraged to be more independent from your teachers but it also allows you to really concentrate as well as connect with your piece of work. I was allowed to fully take into consideration all of my research and how I could connect it together to craft a final outcome to my project based on London.

What is it like studying in London. What has been your favorite discovery ?

I find studying in London a privilege. Although I study here on a daily basis, this course opened my eyes to the many artistic opportunities London has to offer. From galleries to museums to libraries and architecture, London is filled with inspiration and opportunity to grow as an artist.

© Savannah Griffin

How has your short course benefited your education? What are you going to do next with your new skills?

Initially when I entered into the course, I had no clue as to how to approach fashion design. However, after completing the course, not only did I discover my own drawing style, ergo boosting my confidence as well as giving me a sense of identity and originality. I also learned how to research and how to collect ideas which has not only been helpful to the short course but also in the A level art course I am currently taking. Overall, the course benefitted me through encouraging me to be more experimental rather then safe in my designs, which had in return not only allowed me to view the design process as fun and exciting but with more confidence. With my new skills, gained from this course, I will begin to bring an experimental aspect into my art work as well as start to view the art and design process in a more abstract way so as to gain a personal perspective on my work as well as other peoples.

© Savannah Griffin

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at CSM. Why should they study there?

To anyone who is considering taking a short course at CSM I would tell them to go for it 100 percent. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain. Attending a short course opens your eyes to what studying there could be like. If you enjoy the experience then you will have more of a drive to work toward the goal of attending there for university. If you are no longer in education, this course or any other course is just as valuable in giving you experience which will ultimately allow you to flourish.

© Savannah Griffin

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist? Can you recommend a piece of art, in any medium, you feel everyone should see?

To an artist I believe determination is integral. Going into any type of profession to do with art is hard, you will always have competition and you will not always achieve what you want to achieve. But as a true artist you must keep pushing forward and do what you love no matter what anyone says or thinks, your determination is ultimately what will make or brake you. A piece of artwork I recommend everyone should see is called Death by Gustav Klimt because, despite it being such a dark and some might even say a depressing art piece, it is without a doubt beautiful in a peculiar sense.

© Savannah Griffin

What 3 words best describe your CSM Short Course experience?

Inspiring, valuable, insightful.

If you’d like to take on a new challenge, you can secure your place on an upcoming Fashion Design for 16 to 18 Year Olds course right now with one week intensive courses returning for Christmas School and Easter School 2020. Is Fashion design not your thing? why not take a look at all our short courses especially designed for teenagers!