Lina Sabry attended two courses this Summer School at CSM, Art Direction for Fashion to see if a future career in Art Direction was for her and Conceptual Fashion Styling, to expand her creative process. On studying at CSM Lina said, “I enjoyed being given absolute creative freedom, I was able to express myself and teach myself new ways of experimenting with ideas and clothes. The teachers were amazing and I made so many great friends that share very similar interests to mine.”
Lina Sabry stood outside, in front of a white building.

Lina Sabry

Where are you from and what’s your favourite thing about it?

I’m from Egypt but I live in Dubai. The weather in Egypt has its perks of allowing us to do lots of outdoor activities whereas in Dubai you’re more constricted to doing everything indoors. Dubai is a very small city, and the creative scene is even smaller, but I love how I’m a part of it.

What is your occupation?

I graduated in Fashion Marketing and Retailing at Heriot-Watt University Dubai in 2018 and I am currently doing freelance content creation for local brands.

What short courses did you to study upon at Central Saint Martins (CSM), and what was your journey to the course?

I attended two courses at Central Saint Martins, Art Direction for Fashion and Conceptual Fashion Styling. I chose the courses for different reasons; I picked Art Direction for Fashion because I wanted to be inspired and study the role of an Art Director to see if it’s something I would enjoy doing in the future. I took Conceptual Fashion Styling because I enjoy taking photos of my friends for fun, I style them with what I have but it’s never experimental enough. I thought attending both courses would help me to expand my creative thought process and guide my general creativity.

What did you enjoy most about your short courses?

I enjoyed being given absolute creative freedom, I was able to express myself and teach myself new ways of experimenting with ideas and clothes. The teachers were amazing and I made so many great friends that shared very similar interests to mine.

What is it like studying in London. What has been your favourite discovery and/or experience?

I love London so much and if I had to pick one city to live in forever London would definitely be it. It’s such a beautiful city with so much inspiration to absorb and freedom. I’m also obsessed with charity shops and any second hand stores because the things I have found in there are GOLD!

Conceptual Fashion Styling student work, sitting model with metal mesh mouth mask and black bikini top and skit.

Conceptual Fashion Styling student work

How have your short courses benefited your career, education and/or personal development? What are you going to do next with your new skills?

The courses have given me a new outlook on the fashion world and I will definitely be taking this knowledge and reflecting upon it when I approach my upcoming creative work. I’m currently working on a book that features my graphic and photography work, so taking these courses have really helped me get a fresh perspective on the direction I want to take. I had such a creative block before the courses but now that I’m back in Dubai, I have a clear mind set.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at CSM. Why should they study there?

DO IT, GO FOR IT, IT IS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE AND TAKE ME BACK WITH YOU! Honestly, I’m considering coming again next Summer School to take a brand new course. I enjoyed Art Direction for Fashion and Conceptual Fashion Styling so much this summer and I am planning on saving up and coming back. I would definitely recommend CSM to anyone because you are surrounded by so much talent in one room, every day, it’s just so inspiring.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist/creative, in any discipline? AND can you recommend a piece of art, in any medium, you feel everyone should see?

Constant inspiration and going out to explore the outside world is so important, even if it means walking for 5 minutes around the house. Gathering thoughts and getting ideas from anywhere beyond your work space is so essential.

Something everyone should see, I would definitely recommend any fashion show by Iris van Herpen, her shows are a work of art and everything is so beautiful and mind blowing. Whenever I want to find inspiration of thinking outside the box I search out her shows on YouTube, they are all insanely good!

What three words best describe your CSM Short Courses experience?

Fun, inspiring and motivating.

Conceptual Fashion Styling student work, sitting model with metal mesh mouth mask, black bikini top and skit and silver boots.

Conceptual Fashion Styling student work

You can see more of Lina’s work via her Instagram (@linasabrry) account. Feeling inspired? Both Art Direction for Fashion and Conceptual Fashion Styling have upcoming dates to book upon right now. Autumn Term also started on Monday and we have many wonderful daytime, evening, Saturday and weekend courses to discover – look forward to seeing you on a short course soon!