Fashion Design student, Kristina Gross, attended Embroidery – Level 1 looking to develop upon her existing skills. She said of her experience at CSM, “You learn a lot in a short amount of time and I definitely feel its knowledge you will never forget when it’s connected to an experience of studying abroad.”
Kristina Gross standing next to Central Saint Martins entrance sign.

Kristina Gross

Where are you from and what’s your favourite thing about it?

I am from Graz, Austria. I love my city because of the calmness it gives back to someone when returning from a metropolis like London.

What are you studying and where?

Currently I am studying full time at the Academy of Art University, in San Francisco, I am doing a Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design.

What short course did you to study upon at Central Saint Martins (CSM), and what was your journey to the course?

This summer I took Embroidery – Level 1 to broaden my horizons in different stitches, techniques and materials. I already have previous knowledge however the course enabled me to develop this a lot during my week of study.

What did you enjoy most about your short course?

I really enjoyed working with beads, satin threads, ribbons and glitter foils, to add a different texture to the original fabric. Furthermore, our tutor (Rowena Luke-King) was the best and had such an amazing knowledge of embroidery and other fashion related topics which she shared with us.

Kristina Gross embroidery work.

© Kristina Gross

What is it like studying in London. What has been your favourite discovery and/or experience?

It’s such a great opportunity to offer short courses to everyone, especially those who would like to learn a specific practice. You learn a lot in a short amount of time and I definitely feel its knowledge you will never forget when it’s connected to an experience of studying abroad.

London is such a multifaceted city which never sleeps. It offers a lot and beginning from the beads and fabric stores, I could go on to talk about the wonderful restaurants, museums or even parks to spend your afternoons at. But my favourite experience was definitely visiting the different fabric stores, we even met people working in the industry who shared their own experiences of studying fashion.

How has your short course benefited your career, education and/or personal development? What are you going to do next with your new skills?

The short course has definitely benefited my career as I now use my embroidery skills in my practice, for example when creating little patches, embroidered accessory or totally embroidered garments. For my next project I will also be embroidering the bustier of a dress as well as making a shirt with a quote on it.

I also feel as a person I have grown too; I met many different people who have become really important to me by the end of the course, sharing the same values and interests as I do. One of the people I took the course with was from Copenhagen and we’ve become really close friends.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at CSM. Why should they study there?

In my opinion taking a short course at CSM definitely improves your skills. In Embroidery – Level 1 we had the opportunity to use a lot of materials which may not be available at every university, or considered about. For example our tutor let us choose coloured yarns from various shades of yellow when she could have just brought one yellow yarn. It may seem like a small point but you could really see the passion that our tutor had for her practice, this definitely transferred to the students and we all went on to create such amazing work right through to the end of the course.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist/creative, in any discipline?

I feel that an artist’s work should be protected and given credit when being published. An artist should integrate all their thoughts and beliefs into their art to create something exceptional. However, they should never hide behind their work and should take pride in standing up for its creation and meaning.

What 3 words best describe your CSM Short Course experience?

Devoted. Overwhelming. Driven

Kristina Gross embroidery work - purple ribbon, thread and beads.

© Kristina Gross

You can see more of Kristina’s work via her Instagram, @kristinagrosscouture. Feeling inspired? Embroidery – Level 1 returns for Christmas School and again in the new year, for Easter School. Rowena Luke-King also teaches Hand-Sewing for Couture and Bespoke Fashion with dates available to book right now! If you’re looking for something sooner we also have plenty of wonderful courses starting over the coming weeks during Autumn Term. See you soon!