Mayra Uribe is from Mexico and attended CSM over the summer, taking the Creative Direction course. Booked before the completion of her Masters, the course gave Mayra the opportunity to experience a wonderfully diverse and exciting learning environment. Mayra said of her time at Central Saint Martins, “London is a great place, but specifically CSM, it is THE PLACE to be if you are in some form of creative field.”
Mayra Uribe stood in front of the CSM Granary Square building, with entrance sign behind.

Mayra Uribe

Where are you from and what’s your favourite thing about it?

I am from Mexico and I love it. It is amazing – full of culture, colours, food and music!

What is your occupation?

I have been working in advertising agencies for about eight years. I’ve also just finished my Masters in Marketing Direction and I specialised in digital marketing.

What short course did you to study upon at Central Saint Martins (CSM)?

I did the Creative Direction short course. I decided to book the course after my Masters and I was really excited thinking about it. When I arrived at King’s Cross I was impressed by the architecture of the CSM building, I totally love it!

What did you enjoy most about your short course?

Co-working and sharing experiences with my teacher and classmates.

What is it like studying in London? What has been your favorite discovery and/or experience?

I loved the multicultural environment, I think that the city has a really creative vibe. London is a great place, but specifically CSM, it is THE PLACE to be if you are in some form of creative field.

How has your short course benefited your career, education and/or personal development? What are you going to do next with your new skills?

Creative Direction really taught me a new set of tools and I will definitely be using them when I start a new project in the creative field – I want to become an Independent Designer. I am really excited thinking about the future, after this course, and of the possibilities ahead.

What would you say to someone who is thinking about taking a short course at CSM. Why should they study there?

Just do it now! It will be a great experience with the best people and at the best place.

What do you believe is integral to the work of an artist/creative, in any discipline? AND can you recommend a piece of art, in any medium, you feel everyone should see?

I think that creativity is everywhere so we must be open to it. Through listening to music, going to museums or traveling you will discover not only fantastic things, outside of your comfort zone, but also a lot of inspiration.

I would recommend Monet’s paintings; I had the opportunity to see his work presented chronologically and it is fascinating to witness his evolution. It was also interesting to see the way that he used colour towards the end, when he was almost blind.

What three words best describe your CSM Short Course experience?

Creative, interesting and unique.

Mayra Uribe stood in the CSM Granary Square library holding a book about Bauhaus.

Mayra Uribe

Creative Direction returns this weekend and places are still available to book on right now! Looking for a career change or brushing up on your skills? The course runs for five weeks, every Saturday, and offers students an insight into the Creative Director role, working on briefs, pitching to clients as well as insightful practical skills. Already planning your 2020 diary? Summer School dates are now live, book your places earlier to avoid disappointment.